Thursday, September 11, 2008

A LETTER TO A GOOD FRIEND

AS MOST OF YOU KNOW, STEVEN, MY BIOLOGICAL FATHER, AND BOBBY RAY WERE CHILDHOOD FRIENDS. THEY ALSO WORKED TOGETHER AND SHARED SOME AWESOME KIDS AND GRANDKIDS! HAHA! MY DADDY POSTED A LETTER ABOUT BOBBY ON A RACING FORUM AND IT REALLY TOUCHED MY HEART. HERE'S THE LETTER. I HOPE YOU ENJOY IT. I ONLY HOPE THAT BOBBY KNOWS WHAT HE MEANT TO MY OTHER DADDY!



Im sure that few of you may not know who Bobby Brumley was. He was a friend of mine and a stepdad to my two oldest girls. When my first wife and I divorced he married her later on, and became my kids stepdad. On the 18th of aug Bobby died at the age of 53 at St Benards Hospital in Jonesboro Ar. Bobby and I went through School together, We worked together, and were friends even after he and my ex wife married. Its not everyone that would be willing to share their kids and grandchildren with another man but I just wanted to let everyone know that I was proud to share mine with him. He was a good man and I couldn't have ask for a better person to step in and share what once belonged to only me. I was at his funeral yesterday and I saw how much my kids really loved him. Since I wasn't around to see my kids and grandchildren interact with him at his house, I never knew they loved him so much until yesterday at the funeral. I thought Bobby and I were a lot alike in many ways and when he died It was another reality check for me. I couldnt help thinking what if that were me in that coffin. I guess it was like being at my own funeral in a way. There were my kids crying over their dad who had just died. There was a lot of my friends and family members who will probably be at my funeral(I HOPE) And as I grow older I can't help but wonder WHO"S NEXT! When will my time come I wondered. Will It be one of my brothers, Will it be my mom or one of my friends I saw at the funeral, my kid or grandchildren? A lot of things went through my mind like this as I watched people come and go at the funeral home the other night. I kept reliving Bobbys life that i remembered and thought about how short life really is. This kind of stuff bothers you when you get to a certine age. we all start thinking about our own mortality at different times I guess. The funeral procession drove right past his house yesterday, and as we passed I looked at his nice ford pickup sitting out behind his house so lonely looking. It was like a mans pet waiting and wondering when its owner is going to return.He loved his truck and a mans truck is like an extension of the man in a way. It was HIS machine. He washed it and cleaned it and it knew only his touch since new.His truck knew him better that even his family did in a way. But now all his machines that he used on this earth are silent. Never to see him or hear his voice again in this lifetime.The same goes for his wife and family. The many nights he came home are over now and all they have left of him are their memories of him. Although I wasn't around him much after he and my ex wife married I feel I have lost a good friend from my childhood and I will remember him always. Life is so uncertine, you never know when you leave a friend or family member if you will ever see them again. You take it for granted that they will always be there. But this little story about Bobby Isn't all sad, Bobby was a Child of God! He was saved and a good Christian man who was active in his church. We should all pray that it will be said about us at our funeral. Well now you know a little bit about a man you didn't know who died with the love of a lot of family and friends. A man the existed on this earth for a short while and left suddenly to take a trip to heaven. And if there are pickup trucks in heaven im sure Bobby is driving a brand new one right now. Rest in peace Bobby. Your buddy Steve May.

2 comments:

Chasity said...

This was awesome. I don't think I have ever been so proud of anything in my life. I emailed this to some friends and co-workers~they were just amazed! I'm proud of our Bio-Daddy....lol. Bobby would be too.
loves,
Chas

eriktinker said...

That was awesome. I miss my Uncle Bobby so much. It so hard seeing Aunt Hope and him not being with her. He will be greatly missed. I cant wait to see him again! Love, Amber tinker